Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Past Passenger Wednesday



My wife Patti and I were hosting the Kool 104.3 Boise, Idaho group on the legendary SS Norway in September of ’94. On the cruise that year was Bobby Vee. I had never met him or seen him in concert but was a big fan of his music. After a brief meeting the first night on the ship at dinner, Bobby turned out to be everything I had hoped for ... over-the-top friendly and that has turned into a longtime friendship with the Armstrong family.
Next day Patti and I decide to explore the ship. We were on the top deck near the back of the ship, turned the corner and there’s Bobby with his canvas and water colors painting a seascape … and it was great! We asked about his interest in art and he explained that if it wasn’t for music he wanted to be a painter. WHO KNEW?!?! So, I figured “what have I got to lose?” so asked him what he does with his painting. He said he usually just throws them away. “It’s just good therapy ... very relaxing” he told us. I then went for the kill … “I’d love to have a Bobby Vee original to hang in my office”. He was very polite and said something to the effect of “Well, I’ll see what I can do”. Thanked him for his time and Patti and I continued on with our journey of getting lost on the ship.
Now, fast forward 5 months later. UPS shows up at our house with a box from Minnesota. What? We weren’t expecting anything from Minnesota. We opened the box … AND THERE IT WAS!!! The very same picture he painted on the SS Norway … framed, matted and autographed. A Bobby Vee original water color painting, in my house and I’m holding it!!! LIVE IS GOOD!!
But I find out a year or so later that it’s even better. Talking with Bobby’s son Jeff … “Dad NEVER lets his pictures get out. Me and my brothers don’t even have a painting by dad!!” WOW, WOW, WOW. Not only do I have a Bobby original but now it’s pretty much exclusive!
I hold this painting near and dear to my heart and it’s my #1 piece of rock and roll memorabilia. It’s hanging in my office, look at it every day and think how lucky Patti and I were to get lost on the ship and run into Bobby.
This is just a brief example of how the Oldies Cruise performers over the years have embraced the fans and spend time talking and reminiscing about the good old days.
By the way … painting is not for sale. Thanks for asking though ……….

Jack Armstrong
Oldies Cruise Host and MC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Concerts At Sea 2023 Schedule of Events

  Concerts At Sea 2023 Schedule of Events                                                             January 21, 2023         Fort La...